Monday 2 October 2017

Landscape Edit

These landscape edits are in the style of Adam Butler. Adam butler is a Scottish born photographer who photographs both London and the Aeolian islands. He has been a photographer for over 20 years in which he has won various awards for his work. He doesn't work in the style of a particular art movement and his work is figurative because it is of objects we see every day. His pictures focus on colour during the sunset and the sunrise almost in a surreal style because of the use of reflections and light over the water. He also focus on viewpoint with all of his pictures being taken from above or below the city. Because of this he rarely uses leading lines or the rule of thirds. His pictures are always wide shots and usually wide angled in order to identify the different parts of the city.
His pictures usually have a sharp depth of field because both his foreground and background are in focus however sometimes when the water is the foreground the picture is out of focus because of the intensity of the background. The lighting he uses is natural lighting because the pictures are taken outside. His pictures are always taken at significant times of the day and in certain weather conditions to capture the beauty that not everyone sees. For example when it is cloudy and when the sun is rising. He uses a slow shutter speed as there is no movement in his photography. This means that the picture is neither overexposed nor underexposed because the right amount of light is coming through the aperture. I think the main connotation of his work is that beauty isn’t always seen. He shows this by taking his pictures when people would usually avoid the city, for example early in the morning and when it is going to rain. Furthermore, I think that he is trying to personify the city by connoting its loneliness and the emptiness the city feels despite it being such a bustling place. I think this because his pictures never include people.
His artwork is arranged so that the city he is photographing is never seen up close only from a distance. This makes his work different to other cityscape photographers. I have tried to recreate the surrealistic style through the focus on colour on Photoshop. I have adjusted different parts of the picture to make different things the focus. I have adjusted the colour balance of the sky to contrast the grey of the building in the first picture. In the second picture I have adjusted the vibrancy to make the picture stand out more like Adam Butlers. In the second picture I have adjusted the brightness to make the sky and the fountains eye catching.
In the third picture I have put a blue tint over the clock to create the illusion of sunshine. In the fourth picture I have made the picture darker to create almost a silhouette of the city. I would improve these pictures by taking them at different times of the day so you get to see Sheffield in a variety of ways, which creates more of a narrative of the city. I have focused on viewpoint mostly in these pictures to make the industrial buildings seem inferior of us however this contrasts Adam Butler’s panoramic view of the city. I’ve also focused on colour in my edits but not as much in my actual pictures because they were all taken at the same time. I used a large aperture and a slow shutter speed so that the right amount of light was let in and the picture wasn’t under or overexposed. Despite this, one of my edits looks overexposed because of the effect of darkness I have tried to put over the city connoting the bleakness. I have used a range of shot types such as wide shots and wide angles and medium close ups. My foreground and background are both in focus so I have a sharp depth of field. 





No comments:

Post a Comment